Saturday, March 5, 2011

A small injury

On Tuesday, the group I run with, Running Fit 501 did an interval workout.  Specifically, we did a warm-up to the track, followed by 8x800 meters @ 5K pace (supposedly), then cool-down back to your car.  We did this same workout 3 weeks ago.  It's not my favorite workout ever, but it's not the worst.  Anyway, 3 weeks ago, according to good ol' Garmin our 800s were all between 3:24 & 3:44.  This past Tuesday, they were all between 3:10 and 3:20.  Whaaaa...?!?  Apparently we were flying! Um, that's totally not 5K pace, that's faster!
Coach Gina took this photo of us running the track!
 I'm newly convinced that joining a running group was the BEST decision ever.  But this I'll elaborate more on a different day...

Today I must talk about my calf.  After that last 800, my calf seemed really tight.  I haven't run since.  I'm not sure if I tore it or strained it or what, but every once in a while I feel a "ping" in my calf.  It's not fun!  I actually had this same thing happen in my right calf when training in the summer.  But, I took a week off & it was fine.  I've been RICE-ing it, so I'm hoping that come tomorrow I can do the 16-miler I've got planned.  That will be a full 4 days off.  It's feeling much much better now, so I'm crossing my fingers!

This little injury has probably come at the best possible time.  I only had to do 8 more miles this week, so I am only missing out on 8 miles.  It was supposed to be a bit of a step-back week.  My body was starting to get really tired from all the running & working out.  I've gotten to the point in training when you're hungry All-The-Time.  It's probably good that I was made to take a little breather.

I never used to get injuries back in high school.  I thought I was immune!  Haha, guess not... at least it's just a little one right?  Right!

No comments:

Post a Comment